Bayou Calvinist

A Somewhat Eclectic Discussion by a Law Student Concerning All of Today's Major Topics, as well as, a Few Not So Major Topics

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Maybe that's why.

I was always told that upbringing had a large influence in what one's political beliefs and also that people are very likely to identify themselves with the same party as their parents. This always troubled me for two reasons: nearly all my friends and most of my influences in political thinking tended to be realists, whereas I have always demonstrated a more idealistic bent; and while my father voted predominantly Republican (at least in later life) and my mom primarily Democrat (throughout), I have been strongly Republican for as long as I could vote. Since I was closer to my mom growing up, one would assume the opposite in party identification when it came to me. Now a scientific study claims to show that genetics have a large impact on one's political beliefs. Find it by cutting and pasting the following:

< http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/21/science/21gene.html
?ei=5090&en=dde7d8feedd2f87f&ex=
1277006400&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=print>

This seems to make some sense in my case. My father is certainly an idealist in many regards, as is my mother to a lesser extent (explaining my political outlook). Add to this the influence of growing up with primarily Republican friends, as well as, initially rooting for Republican candidates in an almost sports fan type manner. In addition I would take note that the Democratic Party of my parent's day (read J.F.K.) is not at all the same as the modern one (read Durbin, E. Kennedy, and Dean). Likewise the Republican Party has changed a great deal from the past (read Eisenhower, Nixon, and Ford) to it's present (read Reagan and W). In both I would argue you see a shift in which the Republican national party has the more progressive, idealistic and liberal (define all these words in the classical manner) platform and candidates.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home